16 weeks & the house

Monday, March 19, 2012

I posted my 16 week update yesterday - finally!  You can read it here...Immeasurably More.

Funniest thing with being pregnant is I have not had cravings like I thought I would, or the way everyone says you will.  However, I seriously cannot get enough of McDonald's Cokes.  Does anyone else think they put crack in there??  Holy cow, they're SO good.  Since getting pregnant I've lost my taste for coffee and that is A-OK with me, cause I would much rather drink an icy Coke from McD's any day.  We won't discuss the sugar content, kay?  ;)

This weekend Brad and I went out to our land where we're building to decide where to position the house and what trees/brush we'll clear out.  Where we'll put the house is currently in a little section of woods that borders a big field, and we're planning to put the house just inside of the clearing so that we'll have a view of the open field from the front of the house, and then the backyard will be woodsy.  We'll clear out the woods about 50 feet all the way around the house to plant grass.  I wish I had a picture of the view from what will be the front of the house, it's so pretty!

One website that we've used a TON for ideas is Houzz.  It's basically like a Pinterest for all things houses - exteriors and interiors.  You type in what you want to see - i.e, white kitchens - and it will show you hundreds of pictures of white kitchens.  Here's a sampling of pics from our Ideabook that will give you a little bit of an idea at what our house will look like (keeping in mind that I've yet to find a picture of a house that will look like ours, which is surprising cause it's such a classic look):




This is ONLY to give you an idea of what the front porch will look like - low-level, no railing, white beams.  It won't wrap around the sides of the house.




This is a good picture of what the porch will look like, although it's not a good shot of the whole thing. We're also going to do one shed dormer above the porch, which is what's pictured here.  We LOVE shed dormers and think they're a little more unique than gable dormers (the traditional dormers you see on homes).




This is a good example of the exterior colors of our house.  We're doing cedar lap siding that we'll paint white, which is probably similar to the clapboard look (wider planks than say, vinyl siding).  We're going to do a black standing seamless roof (metal/tin roof), and the will probably have cedar shakes on the dormer and in the gables on the side of the house.  The windows will be black, no shutters.  We're also going to do black fixtures.

That's about as far as I can imagine for the exterior!  It's hard for me to envision the end product - you picture things in your head, but it's hard to tell how it will actually look in person.  The exterior has been a lot easier for me to picture than the interior.  Pretty soon I'll post some pics of what we're thinking for the living room & kitchen.  It's so exciting, even if it is a little overwhelming!

I'm off to make up some hamburgers for Brad to put on the grill - it's above 70 degrees today, as it has been the last few days, and we're taking advantage of all we can!


No comments:

Post a Comment

CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan