Cold Mountain

Saturday, November 20, 2010

It's a lazy Saturday morning - Brad's out hunting - and I'm camped out on the couch watching Cold Mountain, definitely one of my favorite movies. It's funny, I tried to watch it a few years ago and couldn't get into it, to save my life. But when I was living in Europe I read the novel "Cold Mountain" by Charles Frazier, and knew I had to see the movie cause it was so incredibly good.

Typically the book is way better than the movie, but in this case, the movie is phenomenal. It's right up my alley: a beautifully haunting love story that combines the charm of the South, war stories, and incredible acting. Nicole Kidman and Jude Law are so convincing in their love for each other - hers, waiting for him to return to her, and his, trying to find his way back to her.

This is one of my favorite scenes in the movie...Inman (Jude Law) is telling a mountain woman about his journey back to Ada (Nicole Kidman):


Some shots from the movie -







One of the best things about the movie is the soundtrack - the country girl in me could listen to bluegrass all day long, and this movie does not disappoint with their song selections and haunting instrumentals. This is my favorite song from the movie by Alison Krauss:


TIME magazine said of the movie, and it describes it well: "A grand and poignant movie epic about what is lost in war and what's worth saving in life. It is also a rare blend of purity and maturity -- the year's most rapturous love story."

No comments:

Post a Comment

CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan