Fish Tacos with Avocado Crema

Tuesday, January 27, 2015

I made the fish tacos I talked about yesterday and they turned out pretty dang good!  We typically do chicken tacos, which is honestly what I prefer.  But it's nice to switch things up every now and then, right?

I gotta brag on myself and say that I can make some pretty amazing tacos.  Sounds dumb, how can you make amazing tacos when they're just meat, shells and toppings?  But the kind of meat, shells and toppings you do are the keys to awesome tacos.  I used to buy whatever corn taco shells I could find, but now I only buy these:



La Tortilla Factory Green Chile tortillas.  They are uuuhh-mazing.  For Brad I will deep-fry the shells (bad, I know...but tastes.so.good) and warm them on a flat pan for myself.  They're worth spending the extra dollar.

And for toppings, I always do the standard lettuce/tomato/cheese, but when we do chicken tacos I'll serve up some cilantro and chopped jalapenos with it.  For the fish tacos I added some purple cabbage that had a lime squeezed on it.  Trust me, these little additions will make your tacos taste so fresh and like something you'd get at a taco stand!

So - my fish tacos.  I ended up using cod because it was the only wild-caught fish at the store.  It wasn't bad but it wasn't my favorite.  I marinated it for about 20 minutes in a little bit of lime juice, fresh garlic and cayenne pepper.


 I cooked it in the stove for 20 minutes at  425degrees.

Then I made the Avocado Crema, which I was super excited for.  It did not disappoint!  I tossed an avocado, sour cream, lime juice, garlic, jalapeno, cilantro and salt/pepper into my food processor and blended her all up...



I chopped up all my toppings....



And we were ready to eat.  I was pretty happy with how it all came together!  I had a guilt-free (for me) dinner and something that Brad (and Hadley!) really liked.



Fish Tacos with Avocado Crema
1 lb of white fish (any kind will do but preferably tilapia or mahi mahi)
Juice of 2 limes
1/2 Crushed garlic clove
Dash of cayenne pepper

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.  Mix together lime, garlic and cayenne in a shallow baking dish or large Ziploc bag.  Marinate fish for 20 minutes.  Transfer to baking pan and cook fish for 20 minutes or until it flakes apart.  When fish is done, flake it apart with forks.  

AVOCADO CREMA 
(Adapted from the Skinnytaste cookbook)
1 Hass Avocado
Handful of cilantro
1 Jalapeno, seeded and diced
1/4C sour cream
1 Garlic clove
1T lime juice (or just squeeze half a lime)
Salt
Pepper

Serve fish in soft tortilla shells with variety of toppings and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan